Friday, May 1, 2015

Surgery # 2

Here we are in the hospital once again! This is a very exciting and eventful time for us. It is now May 1st and Melissa has had the second surgery to reattach the stoma to her J-pouch.

Melissa's surgery was actually on April 30th at 6 AM. Quite early if you ask me, but we liked being the first surgery of the day. We got to the hospital, got registered and checked in and she got ready for the surgery. A nurse came and took samples of her blood just in case there were any issues. Once again she saw her friend Pat who is a nurse at the hospital where we were getting the procedure done. If you didn't read any of the previous posts, Melissa had this friend as her registration nurse for the first surgery. She actual met her doing the remicaid infusions and they had become really good friends. Melissa was very nervous for the first surgery and seeing her friend Pat helped calm her quite a bit. Things were different this time, Melissa wasn't nervous at all, just excited! We went down to the pre-surgery room and met with the doctor and anesthesiologist. They talked a little about the surgery and we said our goodbyes. The doctor explained to me that the surgery would take about 2 hours, this was much shorter compared to the first 6 hour surgery. She went in at about 7:20  and I got a call that she was done at about 9. I was nervous that something had gone wrong because it was so swift. I met with the doctor while she was in the recovery room and he explained that it went very well. I was anxious to be with her and see how she was doing. They explained that the recovery for the second surgery should be a bit smoother. She was in the recovery room for about 45 minutes and then was given a room. She was still a little dazed and confused but she was doing really well. She was telling me how she would fall asleep in recovery and then wake up and say something to the nurse about what she was dreaming about. She was saying the nurse probably thought she was crazy. Then when I was sitting in the room with her, she starting doing it with me as well. I had a good chuckle over some of the things she said.

The doctor said she would just be a little sore but needed to be up moving around and using the restroom. She now has been up walking quite a bit and using the restroom. She is yet to have a bowel movement but they said this is to be expected. They explained that the stay would be about 3-5 days depending on certain criteria. What they need to happen before she is discharged is a steady normal diet, bowel movement or gas, and she needs to be able to control the bowel movements. Depending on the patient, some will have more bowel movements than others. They just have to make sure she has it under control and isn't losing to many fluids. Melissa is doing awesome and is feeling happy. She will randomly just tell say to me "Kell, I'm so happy". I feel so excited for her, so I can only imagine how she is feeling. I don't want to be too graphic but she has had her first bowel movement now and she felt like she was able to control holding it in. This seems like a very good sign! She has been up walking around quite a bit today and has been wishing she could eat some actual foods.
Here is a picture with the stoma gone and NO BAG!!! She wanted me to post it and let everyone know how excited and happy she is.

She also asked me to post a picture of me passed out in the chair, but I'm not doing it and there's nothing she can do about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment